The story begins in the late 17th century and traces the history of twelve generations that lived in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire, Staffordshire and Nottinghamshire, England.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, the family lived at Alcester, Aston Cantlow, Quinton and Wilmcote in Warwickshire, and at Inkberrow and Edgiock in Worcestershire. One family member came from Chipping Campden (Gloucestershire) and in the 1880s most of the family migrated to Birmingham (Oldbury and Smethwick) to find work. In the 1890s my branch of the family moved to Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, and in the 20th century settled also in Derby, Exmouth, Leicester and Nottingham.
A number of directly related families from the 18th and 19th centuries have also been researched, and the site includes family trees relating to surnames such as: Clifford, Climer, Hill, Laight, Phipps, Richards, Stephens, Stiler and Wheeler. Other more recent families researched include, Baker, Dawn, Guillon, Jeffries, Jeffrey, Johnson and Outram (see Related families for more details).
Start viewing the family details by selecting one of the options below.
- Read detailed accounts of each of the Family members.
- View or download the Family tree in pdf format (use the zoom facility in your pdf reader software).
- Find out about the Origin of the name Woodward
- See the Related families page for details of many other families linked to the Woodwards.
- Study the guides to Baptism, Marriage and Burial records in the English Parish Registers.
- Read about the history of the Calendar and how changes made in 1752 could affect your research.
- See the What's new page for the latest additions to the site.
Even if you are not directly related to this Woodward family, the site includes a number of family trees for other Woodward families that lived in the Warwickshire and Worcestershire area.
These families have been researched in order to eliminate them from my own family and the records may help you with your research. To find out more see the page Related families.
My other sites
In addition to family history I am an avid photographer, mostly of classic cars, architecture, landscape and industrial archaeology. My photographic collection (over 20,000 images) is available on flickr.
Compiled by Graham Woodward, Nottingham, England (UK). Last updated 16 August 2019 . If you think you are related to this family, please contact me.